Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Coronavirus Assistance
Please use the application below to apply for CDBG COVID funds.
(FOR MAUI RESIDENTS ONLY)
APPLICATION OPENS DEC 1ST, ASSISTANCE STARTING JAN 2021
If you have experienced a loss of employment or reduction in hours due to COVID-19, you may be eligible for one-time emergency financial assistance for rent up to $1000 per household or mortgage up to $1500 per household. To be considered for the Family Life Center CDBG-CV program, please complete and submit this application with the required documents. A summary of the required documents are listed below and should be acquired before proceeding with the application. Please DO NOT start this application until you have all your documents ready to be uploaded. This application cannot be submitted without all your uploaded documents. You will upload all your documents at the end of this application. Also, please make sure that your documents are clear and readable. Funds are limited, therefore, the application will be available until resources have been exhausted. This program is a partnership between Family Life Center and the County of Maui's Community Development Block Grant Office and is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) Community Development Block Grant - Coronavirus (CDBG-CV) funds. Payments will be made directly to the landlord, bank, or mortgage company.
1. 18 years of age or older;
2. Maui County resident with government-issued ID. If you do not live in Maui County your application will not be considered;
3. Must show loss of employment or reduction in hours directly resulting from COVID-19;
4. Must not have received same benefits for the same period from another organization;
5. Must not have more than $5,000 in liquid assets (cash, checking & savings accounts, stocks, mutual funds, money market funds, bonds);
6. Households already receiving federal housing subsidies (Section 8 or Public Housing participants) do not qualify;
7. Total household income must be at or below 80% Area Median Income (see chart below) at time of application;
FOR ELIGIBLE RENTERS:
- Monthly rent payments up to $1000 per household residing in Maui
FOR ELIGIBLE HOMEOWNERS:
- Monthly mortgage payments up to $1500 per household residing in Maui
Determining Area Median Income (AMI)
To be eligible, at the time of application, your annual income must be at or below the Low Income Limit, which is listed below.
In other words, to qualify, your income must be at or below this level. If your annual income is higher than listed for your family size, please do not apply, as your application will not be approved for a grant.
1. Government issued photo ID;
2. 2019 tax return (if self-employed)
3. 1 month of paystubs for all household members and/or public benefit statement prior to March 15, 2020;
4. Current within the past 30 days - 1 month of recent paystubs, public benefit statement (if applicable), or unemployment benefits or evidence that applicant applied for unemployment benefits
5. Proof of hardship - documentation showing hardship DUE TO COVID-19. Examples of acceptable documents include (but are not limited to): Unemployment letter, lay off letter, and/or rent or mortgage past due notice;
6. Most recent bank statement(s)
7. Rental contract or mortgage statement
You will need a Google account to access the online application. If you do not have a Google account, you may create one for free here. Make sure to save your password.
Before starting your application, make sure you have all your documents in PDF or image (jpeg) format.
If you do not have access to internet, you can call Family Life Center at (808) 877-0880, Monday-Friday, 8:30am - 4:00pm to make an appointment.
Before calling to apply, please have all your documents ready.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please use the button below to access a list of our frequently asked questions. If you have any additional questions, please use our contact form or call our office at (808) 877-0880, Monday through Friday, from 8:30am to 4:00pm.